Choice Hotels has finally provided an update for their Choice Privileges program in regards to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Early on they had only chosen to provide the pausing of the expiration of points until May 31. We now have an extension of that along with reduced elite requirements, elite status upgrade and extensions and bonus points for Diamond members:
- Flexible Points Redemption: Pausing the expiration of loyalty points until Dec. 31, 2020, for all members.
- Reduced Elite Status Requirements: Reducing the number of nights members are required to stay in 2020 to qualify for elite status in 2021. They can now achieve:
- Gold status after staying seven nights, as opposed to 10 nights.
- Platinum status after staying 15 nights, as opposed to 20 nights.
- Diamond status after staying 25 nights, as opposed to 40 nights.
- Upgrades and Extensions for Gold and Platinum Members: Upgrading the status of current Gold and Platinum elite members, effective June 1 – Dec. 31, 2020. Gold members will be upgraded to Platinum and Platinum members to Diamond.
- Upgraded members who stay at least five nights by Dec. 31, 2020, can maintain this enhanced status through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Upgraded members who stay less than five nights by Dec. 31, 2020, will revert to their original status, prior to the upgrade, and maintain it through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Extensions and Bonus Points for Diamond Members: Extending the status of current Diamond members through Dec. 31, 2021, and offering a 10% bonus – in addition to their existing 50% bonus – on points earned through Dec. 31, 2020.
I am a little surprised that is has taken Choice Hotels this long to provide this package of expanded benefits to their members. Most other hotel chains have already had similar polices in place since April if not sooner. Much like their competitors Choice will not be expiring points until December 31 of this year and very similar to IHG Choice has reduced elite qualification requirements by up to 30%. The best news in the new policy is that all current elite members will be upgraded by one level for the remainder of the year. Gold members will get Platinum status while Platinum will receive Diamond status. Those members will get to keep that status for 2021 if they simply complete 5 nights by the end of the year. If you don’t complete those 5 nights you’ll be reverted to your original status level for 2021. If you are Diamond however you get to keep your status right through to December 2021 and since you can’t have your status boosted any higher Choice if giving you an extra 10% bonus on the points you earn from stays until the end of the year.
Choice Hotels also stated that their elite status match offer continues so it may be possible that you could try to get a match right now and then be boosted an extra level with today’s announcement.